If you entertain at all during the holiday season, your plumbing will see more use during the months of December and January than the rest of the year put together. Overnight guests, holiday meals and family members on winter vacation place higher than usual demand on faucets, toilets, pipes, drains and sewers as well as bathtubs and showers. So, how can you be a good host while simultaneously preserving your plumbing? Follow these holiday tips!
Holiday Plumbing Tips
- Don’t pour fats or cooking oil down the drain. Anything that solidifies at room temperature could do the same thing in your pipes, creating clogs.
- Wipe congealed grease from pots.
- Don’t dispose of stringy, fibrous waste into the garbage disposer. For more details about this, see our holiday kitchen plumbing post. This type of waste could clog your disposer and lead to a clogged drain.
- Run cold water for 15 seconds before, during and after running the garbage disposer.
- Turn the disposer on before adding debris.
- Run the dishwasher and washing machine at night, or at other low-demand times, to conserve hot water and maintain sufficient water pressure for guests.
- If you suspect outside pipes are clogged, call JB Plumbing. Our Jetter Truck uses water pressure to clear clogs before stress on pipes causes significant damage.
- Spread showers throughout the day. Wait 10-15 minutes between showers rather than allowing guests to take showers in quick succession.
- Adjust the water heater temperature slightly, so it will be better equipped to retain hot water. This will keep a lid on your natural gas bill as well as protecting guests from burns associated with scalding water.
- If shower pressure is weak, adapt the same technique mentioned above, pouring a cup of vinegar into a plastic bag and placing it over the shower head.
- Use a twist tie to hold the plastic bag in place overnight.
- In the morning, remove the bag.
Use a toothbrush to scrub mineral deposits, restoring water flow.
- If your tub or shower is slow to drain, call JB Plumbing. We can investigate, to make sure your pipes are clear of obstructions. If our infrared equipment detects a clog or leak, we will use our Jetter Truck to clear the clog, restoring water pressure.
- Protect pipes. Frozen water can expand and crack pipes in the same way a soda can expands if you freeze it. If this occurs inside your pipe, it can end up costing a considerable time and money.
- Install pipes in lower places. Water expanding into ice within a pipe can cause an increase in water pressure. This blockage can create excessive pressure throughout the system and cause pipe failure in vulnerable places. Generally, the most vulnerable pipes are those located at higher elevations, such as attics, garages, crawl spaces, or outside walls.
- Insulate pipes. Even though we are in Southern California, where winter weather is milder than on the east coast, pipes can freeze if you do not take proper precautions. This is particularly true in mountain communities.
- When possible, bury pipes in the ground, below the frost line.
- Stop leaking faucets, which – in extra temperatures—could burst.
- If you notice slower water pressure, call a plumber right away. In many cases, swift action can resolve issues like this before serious damage occurs.
- If your pipes are clogged, call JB Plumbing. We will use our Jetter Truck to clear clogs, which will prolong the life of your pipes.
- If your pipes freeze despite following the above precautions, turn off the water main line to prevent flooding.
- Identify the cracked pipe and replace it in sections, with insulation
- Call JB Plumbing for quick, high-quality repairs.
About JB Plumbing
With JB Plumbing, you can expect upfront pricing; fast, free estimates; licensed, bonded and insured plumbers who are neat, polite, and well trained. We use state-of-the-art tools and equipment and are proud of the fact our services are free from hidden costs like travel charges. If you call JB Plumbing today, 24/7, you will speak directly to a plumber instead of a telephone answering service. At JB Plumbing, we are experts in residential and commercial plumbing as well as construction. Call today to schedule an appointment. (909) 593-2194.