(909) 593-2194

Call 24/7 and speak directly to a plumber

How do I know If I need leak detection?

Tap with dripping waterdrop. Water leaking and saving concept.It can be difficult to tell whether you have a water line that is leaking under the concrete slab of your house. For electronic leak detection, just give us a call and we will solve your problem. We specialize in leak detection…like detectives searching for clues. Sometimes, our customers report that the can hear the sound of water running. This noise is often heard when the leak is large. At other times, you may not hear any sound, but the floor may feel warm. People often feel this warmth or hot spot on the floor while walking in bare or stocking feet.

Often, our customers notice that the water heater is running for an abnormally long period of time, which can pose a fairly large spike in the gas bill. Sometimes, people simply start noticing that their water bills are out of control, or the water company notifies them of a suspected leak.

We can diagnose, find and fix the leak fast.

In any case, the only way to accurately determine if you have a slab leak is to preform electronic leak detection. Does that sound confusion? Not to us. Just give us a call and we will show up and figure out where your leak is and repair it. We have the most highly trained, experienced plumbers in the area.

Leak Detection: What is a slab leak and what causes it?

Houses built prior to 1970 often have galvanized pipes located under the concrete slab. Homes built after 1970 have rolled soft copper under the concrete slab foundation of the home. Sometimes, these pipes leak. When this occurs, it’s called a slab leak.

Pipes leak for lots of reasons. Galvanized pipe is steel pipe with a galvanized coating. The galvanized coating is applied to the pipe to keep it from rusting. Over a period of time, this coating wears off. Once this occurs, the rusting process begins.

One call to JB Plumbing will solve your San Dimas leak detection needs.

As the steel in the pipe continues to rust, it becomes thinner and thinner. Eventually, it becomes so thin that a leak occurs. These leaks in galvanized water lines can actually rust shut and seal themselves up. The problem is that the leak returns and is even worse than before. The best way to fix these leaks in galvanized piping under the slab is to do a copper re-pipe.

Most of the time, leaks are located in copper pipe under the concrete slab foundation. The copper pipe that is installed under the concrete is a special soft copper piping. This soft copper piping comes in 60’ rolls. This pipe is rolled out under the concrete to each plumbing fixture in the house.

Building code requires the pipe to be installed without joints under the slab. Therefore, the pipe is rolled out and is brought to above-the-concrete level and terminated in the wall. At this point, all of the lines are tied together in a manifold.  Sometimes, when this copper is installed, it becomes dented or kinked. This usually happens at a bend in the pipe. When water passes over the kink or dent, it causes wear in the pipe. This is usually the cause of a copper slab leak.

What is the process of finding and fixing the leak?

The process of finding a leak under the concrete is called electronic leak detection. This is done with very sophisticated and sensitive equipment. The first step in the process is to take decibel readings throughout the house. This will help your leak detection expert identify which pipe is leaking. After taking readings, we will use another piece of equipment to locate and trace he actual pipe that is leaking. Once this is done, we can pinpoint the actual leak.

There are several options for the actual repair. The first is to break up a small hole in the concrete in order to reach the pipe. Once the pipe is exposed, we cut out the leaking section of pipe. Then, we install a new section of pipe. The next option is to abandon the leaking pipe and re route a new pipe above the ground. The last option is a complete copper re-pipe.

For expert leak detection, call us at (909) 483-1231.